Sunday, December 16, 2012

'Stax: The Soul Of Hip-Hop' Stax LP

The concept is fairly simple for this modern reissue collection, in that the LP is made up of original Stax Releases from the 1960's and 70's which were later sampled on popular hip-hop tracks. 


I actually looked for a review of this and found a very snooty comment on Crate Kings, saying that any  collector should have the tracks on this already. 

Well, I don't, though this isn't the first compilation I've got with a 24 Carat Black track on it and increasingly, I really, really want that record... 

It's an attractively packaged, well pressed comp with tracks that are variously well known, ('Melting Pot' by Booker T & The MG's), well named ('Do The Funky Penguin (Part 1)' or well and truly incredible ('I Forgot To Be Your Lover' by William Bell, which seems very close lyrically to 'Have I Told You Lately' by Van Morrison).

No comments:

Post a Comment