Sunday, November 11, 2012

$20 Trade Me Bundle

I’ve spoken before about the serendipitous nature of record collecting. Along the way, there are all sorts of ‘happy accidents’ and coincidences in the way in which new records come into your possession. I’ve actually not had any poor experiences in buying records in ages until a couple of weeks ago, when I bought a bundle for $20 off of Trade Me.

The bundle of records was listed as being in ‘okay’ condition, based on their vintage. In short, they are in terrible condition; many have lost their inner sleeves and as such are pretty scuffed.
There was a couple of items in the bundle that led to me buying it that I’ve had to give some TLC, taping up sleeves, washing vinyl and replacing inner sleeves. Ultimately, they will probably end up getting replaced, but having a crackly copy will at least mean that I can get to know the LP in the interim.
Janis Joplin/Full Tilt Boogie ‘Pearl’ CBS LP
This is one of the items that led to me bidding on the bundle and it’s in disappointing condition overall. ‘Pearl’ is Janis’ last LP and was released posthumously. There are a couple of her classics on here, ‘Me & Bobby McGhee’ and ‘Mercedes Benz’ I know already.

Little Feat ‘Feats Don’t Fail Me Know’ Warner Brothers LP
Really bad condition cover that’s totally frayed around the open end, requiring resealing with tape. It’s clearly been stored in a pile with the vinyl facing outward. I’ve not really got into Little Feat, but had a video of them playing a track on The Old Grey Whistle Test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Grey_Whistle_Test) as a teenager, which I really liked. I love those big, multi-cultural 70’s boogie bands with a conga player. The thanks list includes Van Dyke Parks (whom wrote lyrics for ‘Smile’ by The Beach Boys) and there’s backing vocals by Emmylou Harris and Bonnie Raitt as well. I was really looking forward to this one.

Johnny Cash ‘By Special Request’ Universal Summit Records LP               
Australian reissue of lots of Johnny Cash’s original Sun rockabilly platters, including ‘Folsom City Blues’, ‘Rock Island Line’ and ‘I Walk The Line’.
Joan Baez ‘Joan Baez’ Vanguard LP
‘Accompanying herself on the guitar with Fred Hellerman, second guitar’.  In terrible, mildew addled condition, but I think is her debut album.  The only one on here that I recognise is, ‘House Of The Rising Sun’ but there appears to be a load of traditional folk songs. Evidently, she’d not yet met young Robert Zimmerman as yet.
Stevie Wonder ‘Songs In The Key Of Life’ Motown Double LP
As mentioned elsewhere on this blog, I absolutely love purple era (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_Wonder#Classic_period:_1972.E2.80.931976) Stevie Wonder, though, despite buying copies of this for other people, (not least an absolutely mint copy with the limited edition 7” EP for my sisters 30th birthday. I wrongly thought that it came out in the month that she was born. ) This is actually in alright nick, but smells of damp.
Stevie Wonder ‘Stevie Wonder’s Original Musiquarium I’ Motown Double LP
Collection of all the singles off of Stevie’s 70’s catalogue, including bits of ‘Talking Book’, ‘Innervisions’, ‘Songs In The Key Of Life’ and ‘Hotter Than July’ (which we own all of) as well as,  ‘Music Of My Mind’, ‘Fulfillingness First Finale’, and ‘The Secret Life Of Plants’ (which we don’t).
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band ‘Stranger In Town’ EMI LP
There was actually a couple of extra LP’s in the bundle which went straight in the ‘For Sale’ box (Suzi Quattro and Tom Jones) and this may well have followed them. It was however saved by Mr. Seger’s rather wonderful hair on the cover. Apparently, this is one of Rolling Stone Magasine’s “500 LP’s To Listen To Before You Die”. I couldn’t tell you a single Bob Seger track, but I’ll get round to listening to it someday.
V/A “Motown Gold:  Motown’s Greatest Hits’  Motown/EMI LP
My Mum’s 1960’s ‘Motown Chartbusters’ LP’s were largely my route into soul music. (Many years later, when rifling through a box of my soul 7”’s, she stated that, “these should be in my collection!”). This though appears to be seventies, with Stevie Wonder’s ‘Living For The City’ and ‘Superstition’ on here, as well as some classic 60’s Motown, like The Supremes’ ‘Where Did Our Love Go’ and, ‘Tears Of A Clown’ by Smokie Robinson & The Miracles. If I'm honest, I've got no reason to keep this, owning most of these tunes already on various other releases.
Rufus Feat. Chaka Khan ‘Rags To Rufus’ ABC LP
The cover of this was in such disgusting condition (I think that the people I bought these off were older stoners. The cover looked like it had been roached. It was also affected by damp), that I put it in the fire. That’s a first. The pictured cover (with the black labelled LP) is actually one I picked up in New Plymouth a couple of weeks ago. I’ve put the yellow labelled vinyl in a plastic dustcover and will keep it with the better condition one that I had already. Who knows, maybe it’ll have some juggling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_juggling) opportunities?

No comments:

Post a Comment