Thursday, November 29, 2012

More Disco

I saw a few interesting tunes come up on TradeMe recently, realising that I was dealing with a serious audiophile and collector when I read the following statements on his profile page, "I am having a big cull of my record collection, amassed since the '70's. It is now time for someone else to get listening pleasure from these discs of sound. Most of this vinyl has been lovingly cared for from new by me, and carefully played on a Rega Planar 3".

Now, some might think that this is just an idle boast about his chosen (and rather droolworthy) record player, but having now received these records (which were actually very reasonably priced) I'm pretty taken aback by what amazing condition (particularly the vinyl itself) they're in.
Donna Summer 'I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley Mega Mix)/ I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley Edit' Casablanca/Phonogram 12" Single
This is one of the real big ones. Up there with the original 5p loss leader FAC73 'Blue Monday' 12" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_(New_Order_song)), or 'Rockit' by Herbie Hancock (http://vinylology.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/conch-records-visit.html). An absolute must-have 12" for any dance music obsessive like myself.
A few months ago, I discussed acquiring a (http://vinylology.blogspot.co.nz/2012/07/discogs-purge.html) Unabombers curated 'Electric Chair' compilation LP, that had this 15 minute 45 second analogue synth oscillator overload remix of the Donna Summer classic and now I have an absolutely mint copy of the original to boot. (Urban myth has this as the first ever disco tune to feature a drum machine and as such, the first house tune. I'd do little to disagree). 
Parliament 'Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome' Casablanca LP
George Clinton's Parliament project are one of those bands that I'm not that familiar with but I know that I should be. I'm reliably informed that this 1977 set is one of his most consistent. The concept album backstory is so ridiculous that I won't go into it here (it contains an intergalactic bad-guy called 'Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk') but the LP (of which this example is in absolutely mint, as new condition) has not only a poster but a comic book explaining it. I'm going to enjoy spending an evening truly wigging out to what's on here, I'm sure. 
Rose Royce 'II: In Full Bloom' Whitfield Records LP 
For some reason, I always assumed that Rose Royce was a female solo artist, rather than a band. I don't know whether I didn't get the oblique 'Rolls Royce" reference or just didn't think it relevant. Funk/Disco svengali Norman Whitfield's earlier projects (The Temptations/Undisputed Truth) are also favourites, so it's no surprise that I love what's available here. 
The LP features guest spots from (Motown House Band's) The Funk Brothers Melvin "Wah Wah" Harris (whom plays on The Temptations classic, 'Papa Was A Rollin' Stone') and legendary drummer, James Gadsen. (Whom amongst many other soul/funk classics, plays on 'Use Me' by Bill Withers, which is one of my absolute, all time favourites).

Despite not knowing that Rose Royce were actually a band, I've been a fan for a while, up to the point that I own three copies of their weepy favourite, 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore', which I think is the most copies of a single record in my collection. (On one format. I've probably got a few multiple format double ups).
In my defence, my early noughties 12" reissue has 'Is It Love You're After' on the A-Side (notably sampled on nineties dance classic S-Express' 'Theme From S-Express'), the UK Whitfield Records 7", has 'Do It, Do It' on the B-Side, whilst my NZ 7" version (licensed by Warner Brothers) has 'That's Wrong With Me' on the B-Side. 

It's therefore completely logical that I own that many copies. Isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment